The Storm King School
* This figure may not reflect actual classroom sizes.
The Storm King School (New York)
Set in a rural area known as Cornwall On Hudson, The Storm King School is a private boarding school in New York. There are 32 private schools, including this one, in Orange County. In terms of religious orientation, The Storm King School is a nonsectarian school. The Storm King School has a rich history dating back to 1867 when it was founded by a Presbyterian Church pastor. It acquired its current name in 1922. Many individuals and organizations have dedicated their energy to the school over time, giving financial aid to the school and this has led to tremendous growth and development. The academic school years lasts 171 calendar days and each day students spend 9 hours in class. In 2011, 100% of the graduating senior class went on to 4-year colleges. 26.3 full-time equivalent teachers are on staff to educate the student body of 180 students in grades 8-12. That’s a student-teacher ratio of 5:1. We look more closely at students and teachers in several charts below.
The Storm King School, a global community, prepares students by inspiring them toward academic success and confidence in an inclusive and diverse learning environment that embraces character, balance and trust.
The Storm King School is a college prep boarding school dedicated to the success of each student. Blending the best of proven educational methods with new and emerging technologies, SKS tailors highly individualized programs to meet the varying needs of each student. At The Storm King School, students are helped to dream big, work hard and achieve success, each in his or her own way.
- Young people learn best in a personally supportive and safe environment.
- Students should be assisted in their intellectual, physical, creative and moral growth in order to realize their full potential.
- A diverse and multi-cultural community provides important learning opportunities for everyone. Students should be guided to develop a strong moral character.
- An open, receptive environment should be provided, one that respects and encourages the individual ideas and intellectual pursuits of every student and faculty member.
- Education is a developmental process for each individual. Character development and education are inseparable.
- The Storm King community should be encouraged to make healthy choices about body, mind and spirit.
- Arts, athletics, cultural activities, outdoor education and community service enhance life and growth.
- Respect, dignity and acceptance should be accorded to each individual, regardless of race, creed, gender or orientation.
- Hiring and retaining the best faculty and administration possible is essential to the well being of the school. Faculty, staff, administrators, and students should lead by example.
Associations & Organizations
- National Association of Independent Schools
- The Association of Boarding Schools
Students by Gender
Students by Grade
Teachers on Staff
Photo Source: School's Website and/or Social Media Data Source: NCES: 00939414
Explore Boarding Schools in New York
New York, NY
St Thomas Choir School is a private all-boy school in New York, New York. New York is a large city in New…4 - 8all-boy35 Students16 Teachers
Dobbs Ferry, NY
The Masters School is a private coed school in Dobbs Ferry, New York. Dobbs Ferry is a large suburb in Westchester County,…5 - 12coed600 Students95 Teachers
Lake Placid, NY
North Country School is a private coed school in Lake Placid, New York. Lake Placid is a rural area in Essex County,…4 - 9coed84 Students26 Teachers
South Wales, NY
The Gow School is a private all-boy school in South Wales, a rural area in New York. 79 other private schools are…7 - 12all-boy132 Students38 Teachers