Teen Challenge Adventure Ranch
Teen Challenge Adventure Ranch (Arkansas)
Teen Challenge Adventure Ranch is a licensed behavioral therapy residential school for boys ages 14-17 1/2 with addictions and other serious life-controlling issues. The boys experience addiction treatment, clinical therapy and regular therapy-based, challenging outdoor activities including: camping, backpacking, rappelling, canoeing, swimming, hiking, and spelunking (rock climbing and cave exploration).
Students are challenged physically and learn the importance of teamwork, goals, and perseverance. They develop better communication skills and improve their ability to work cooperatively with others. Teen Challenge Adventure Ranch was the very first Teen Challenge® therapeutic boarding school for teenage boys. It is a licensed treatment facility with private bedrooms for the boys. The energetic therapists and caring staff encourage the boys to apply appropriate solutions to life’s problems. They endeavor to help troubled boys become mentally sound and drug-free for a lifetime, not just for the short time they are on the TCAR campus. The program’s extensive Aftercare Program ensures your boy’s ongoing success, entailing an extra six months of support, training, and encouragement and a visit to the boy’s home, plus help in finding local resources for the parent and boy.
If nothing else is working for your boy today, enrolling him in this residential program may be absolutely the right choice and the best chance for helping him before he becomes an out of control adult. The program is designed to help a boy when:
- His behavior is out of control
- Counseling and other outpatient treatments aren’t working
- His problems are persistent or even worsening despite promises to change
- Inappropriate behaviors are placing his (or your) health or life at risk
- He is involved in illegal activities, drugs or alcohol
- He was expelled from school or is facing legal problems
- He is deeply entangled with friends who are a negative influence
- He keeps returning to negative behaviors even after periods of time when he has been doing well
- When your boy’s behaviors or attitudes could endanger his future.
ADDICTION TO A SUBSTANCE, PORNOGRAPHY, OR TO GAMING?
We are a dual-diagnosis, licensed addiction treatment facility, helping teenage boys recover from addictions and/or out of control behavior.
An Adventure Program for Boys, that Offers Serious Therapy
Below is a list of some factors that set this program apart from others. The list reflects some of the things that parents often find important when deciding where their child should go. Please take a moment to review the items below.
- TCAR is Accepted by Many Insurance Providers — Our program is a fully licensed treatment center, eligible for insurance funding.
- An Advisor Who Works Directly with You and Your Boy — Your advisor will be available to communicate with you and your family about your child’s progress, the challenges that he is facing, and other matters of importance while he is at Teen Challenge.
- Strong Academic Program — TCAR has had tremendous success in helping young men further their education. Boys who were not able to progress in other learning environments often make great advances at Teen Challenge. The private Christian school offers fully accredited classes which can be transferred to other public or private schools after completion of the Teen Challenge program. They also have a GED preparation track. So far, all of the students who have completed their GED preparation classes have obtained their GED on the first testing.
- Relapse Prevention — The staff has special training and certification in order to help your child be successful after he leaves Teen Challenge. Staff members work with parents to develop the best possible aftercare plan. Emphasis is placed on developing a plan that prevents relapse and maintains positive future momentum.
- A Christ-Centered Approach — Teen Challenge is a faith-based, Christ-centered organization. Its curriculum, teaching, program format, and style of intervention are all biblically-based. This is the reason for the incredible history of success that Teen Challenge has had over the years.
- An Experienced Team of Quality Staff Members — TCAR’s team has approximately 150 years of combined experience in working with troubled individuals and their families.
- An Established Program and Organization — TCAR was the very first residential Teen Challenge center for teenage boys. They have been helping young men and their families for over 40 years.
- A History of Success — Based on federal and university studies done on various Teen Challenge centers across the United States, the Teen Challenge Program has been shown to have one of the highest success rates in the world. Success rates are regularly 20 times higher than other similar type programs.
- Low Student to Staff Ratios. — In order to provide the best possible intervention to your child, Teen Challenge maintains a low student to staff ratios. The organization requires that at least one staff member be present for every 9 boys during the hours that students are awake. It is common practice to have one staff member present for every 5 boys.
“Too many young people have already lost their lives, and too many others have suffered a serious injury for us to ignore the problems of juvenile alcohol and drug abuse. Teen Challenge works to change young people’s lives by changing their hearts.” — President George W. Bush
“Not only does Teen Challenge help our young people deal with their substance abuse, but it also gives our kids something to live for – a relationship with God, healthy self-esteem, and a direction in their lives that finally leads somewhere.” — President Ronald Reagan
Teen Challenge utilizes an integrated model of intervention. Their methods of intervention are Biblically-based and incorporate concepts and techniques from various psychological approaches including Cognitive Behavioral therapies, Reality therapy, Choice theory, solution-focused therapy, systems theory, and others. The program makes use of behavioral elements, experiential activities, therapeutic interventions, and social/interpersonal activities. All of these elements are presented in a loving Christian environment.
Helping a Student Regain Control of His Behavior
Teen Challenge helps students regain control of their behavior by helping them to recognize the unproductive patterns in their lives and encouraging them to seek new solutions to life’s problems and difficulties. They believe that students can and should take responsibility for their behavior and choices. While there may be life tragedies or difficulties which have contributed to a boy’s problematic behavior, a child can learn to make better choices regardless of his situation or past. Effective solutions to life’s difficulties can be found, and healing from life’s hurts can be experienced. The Teen Challenge program is broken up into five phases. The first four phases are completed on campus. Each phase has unique goals, objectives, and intervention material that a student must complete before moving to the next phase. The general goals of each phase are as follows: Phase 1 – Basic Self-Management Phase 2 – Teamwork and Cooperation Phase 3 – Leadership Training Phase 4 – Leadership and Service Phase 5 – Successful Transition outside of the program Each phase has additional privileges as well as greater levels of responsibility. There is an improvement in behavior and attitudes as students progress through the different phases of the program. A scoring system is used to provide students with feedback on their behavior and to help them become aware of and manage their own behavior. This behavioral technique is used for each activity of the day. A student’s behavior is scored in the following five areas:
The scoring system helps staff and the student identify the areas where the student is doing well or has made significant progress. It also helps us to identify areas where the student may be experiencing difficulty. If challenge areas are identified, we will work with the student in problem-solving and help him develop strategies for success. The program is approximately 18 months long. The first 9-12 months are done in residence at Teen Challenge, and the last 6 months take place after the child returns home and enters our aftercare program.
The Extensive Aftercare Approach (Few other programs do this!)
TCAR believes that a critical factor to the success of the boys is an effective Aftercare Program. They continue to work with boys and their families after the residential portion of the program is completed. The aftercare portion of the program is designed to last at least 6 months. They continue to work with the student and his family and help with any transition issues he may face when returning home. Teen Challenge Adventure Ranch also works with families in regard to finding a mentor for the child. This mentor will be someone from their local area who will coordinate with the Teen Challenge Transitional Services Director. He/she will meet weekly with the student and provide continued encouragement and accountability after he returns home. The Transitional Services Director also maintains regular contact with the student after he completes the residential portion of the program. He makes weekly phone contact with the student and family to check on progress. When possible, in-home visits are often scheduled (if the family would like for that to happen). During the visits/calls, the following is discussed:
- Re-entry into the home environment,
- Transitions to and challenges with new educational facilities,
- Vocational activities and goals,
- Relapse prevention issues,
- Interpersonal issues,
- The student’s conduct and behavior.
Students showing significant difficulty transitioning back into society and/or participating in at-risk or delinquent behavior can be returned to Teen Challenge Adventure Ranch for a limited time. After re-stabilization, the previous aftercare plan is evaluated and appropriate changes are made in order to better assist the student with the transition. Students at Teen Challenge take part in many different kinds of recreational activities. Students participate in many off-campus activities during their stay at Teen Challenge. They go to concerts and conferences, visit theme parks, go rock climbing, bowl, ice skate, and do many other activities. A variety of activities are offered on campus as well. Students regularly play basketball in our gymnasium, use our weight lifting equipment, play Frisbee golf, play flag football, or use our low ropes/adventure-based training course, etc.
Associations & Organizations
Students by Grade
Teachers on Staff
Photo Source: School's Website and/or Social Media Data Source: NCES: 00939414
Explore Boarding Schools in Arkansas
Subiaco Academy is an international day and boarding school for young men between grades 7-12. It is located in Subiaco, Arkansas, and…7 - 12all-boy173 Students27 Teachers